Sporting Events in Rioja Alavesa
Throughout the year, several popular sporting and hiking events are held in Rioja Alavesa. They all have a common denominator: they criss-cross the various landscapes and vineyards of the district.
Events and hikes that run along sections of the main GRs that cross Rioja Alavesa from north to south and west to east, taking in a wide range of landscapes.
Health walks complete the range of nature-based events in a district where you can discover a new way to enjoy doing what you like most: healthy sports.
- In May, visit Labraza, the smallest medieval town in the Basque Country and take part in the Popular Entrevillas, Entresvillas, Entreviñas Hike (Oyon - Labraza - Barriobusto).
- Walk along the ridges of the Toloño Mountain and reach their summits on the Toloño Mountain Range Hike.
- Contemplate the beauty of the Ebro River at the boating competition that takes place in May at La Bandera del Vino in Lapuebla de Labarca, where you can then taste the produce of the various local wineries.
- On the first Sunday in June, don’t miss the Popular Hike up to Mount Toloño which takes place every year from Labastida and Salinillas de Buradon; the effort will be rewarded with an excellent lunch washed down with the local wine.
- Participate in the Rioja Alavesa Half Marathon, which includes a variety of events, including a skating race.
- In October, partake of the wine spirit in the Rioja Alavesa Wine Run, enjoy the culture and landscape of wine and vineyards.
- Enjoy the autumnal colours with your family during the Popular Mahasti Artean - Among Vineyards Walk, which takes place every year in Elciego in October.
- In November, follow in the footsteps of Ignatius of Loyola when he was a knight on the Popular Ignatian Way Hike.
- Complete one of the stages of the Gr-38 Wine and Fish Route, a commercial route that our ancestors used on the Popular Walk that takes place in December.