One of the main attractions of Rioja Alavesa is, without doubt, its landscape, an immense sea of vineyards filling the spaces between the mountains and rivers, dotted with medieval villages, where you can also find places of great natural value, such as wetlands or lagoons. In addition, you will discover historical elements, such as the remains of ancient settlements, dolmens and wineries interspersed with wine cellars that boast 21st century avant-garde structures designed by the most renowned architects.
Exploring the Rioja Alavesa on foot or by bike will provide you with unique experiences while enjoying the stunning environment as you discover scents and colours that change with the seasons. However, regardless of the time of year you choose, it will be a memorable experience you will want to share with your people. The vine shoots in spring that reveal the birth of the first bunches of grapes, the ripening of the grapes in summer or the amalgam of ochre, red and yellow tones in autumn are simply jaw dropping experiences. As you travel our paths and trails, you will enjoy unique experiences. You will want to stop at many of these locations to discover unique details and find the inspiration you need or simply experience absolute tranquillity. Let yourself be intoxicated by the landscape of Rioja Alavesa.
Collect postcards as you walk along our paths and trails. View them on the Rioja Alavesa Hiking Routes Map.
We propose long distance routes:
- GR-38 Wine and Fish Route
- GR-99 The Ebro Natural Trail
- Ignatian Way [web] [pdf]
- The Way of Saint James (the route used by local and European pilgrims) [web] [pdf]
To Santiago de Compostela through Rioja Alavesa (Spanish & Basque).
You can also enjoy specific routes in most of our towns:
- Cultural Green Route of Rioja Alavesa, passes through Elvillar/Bilar, Kripan, Lanciego/Lantziego and Viñaspre/Binasperi.
- Bercijana Green Path in Yécora/Iekora (Spanish & Basque).
- Lakes Route in Laguardia
- Green Routes in Navaridas (including Leza and Samaniego).
- Among vineyards routes in Elciego (Spanish & Basque).
- Charming Routes in Samaniego and Villabuena
- Nordic Walking Routes in Labastida/Bastida (Spanish & Basque).
- Other hiking routes in Rioja Alavesa (Spanish & Basque).